Sunday, March 17, 2013

Grooving to 'Amma wake me up' in Shivaranjani raaga!


"Amma wake me up kaalaila nine o’ clock shopping poganum lip gloss vaanga...."

                                  

I happened to hear this tamil song from the album ‘Vathikuchi’ for the first time today. More than the rib tickling lyrics and the super stylish voice, what attracted me was the quirky tune. This song, set to tune in the rather melancholic raga Shivaranjani, is anything but melancholic. It is groovy, peppy and makes one shake a leg instantly. Such an intelligent usage of the pentatonic raga has been made by none other than Ghibran, the newbie composer who shot to fame with his ‘Sara Sara Saara Kaathu’. If we consider the other popular songs based on this raga, it is not surprising that most of them are slow melodies. Here are a few that come to my mind:

  • Oru jeevan dhaan un paadaldhaan – Naan Adimai Illai
  • Tere mere beech mein – Ek Duje Ke Liye
  • Ponmaane Kobam Yeno – Oru Kaidhiyin Diary
  • Dil Ke Jarokhe mein tujhko bithaakar - Brahmachari



I haven’t heard the other songs of the album but I feel this young music director is someone who holds a lot of promise.  A guy to watch out for!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! You reminded me of quite a few lovely songs :) Now, me, I prefer the slow melodic ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, as I write this, I'm reminded of one more song in the same raaga - Tere naina sawan, don't remember the film name. There is also an old tamil film song that starts with the name of the raaga - Sivaranjani itself.

      Delete
  2. Though an avid rasika of carnatic music,I don't know much about film music for I don't see films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born in a family of carnatic music lovers, I have grown up listening to the same. However, my mom helped me learn to appreciate the nuances of film and devotional songs as well. It was my brother who introduced me to the world of Ghazals. So I'm all ears to any form of music,as long as it is melodious and enlightening.

      Delete
  3. Lot of interesting insights about the song.. nice compilation of similar songs based on the same raga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Malini,
    Dont know much of Raagas and Tamil. But the recent Nenjikulle choked me up. I love the Dil Ke Jharokhe main as well. Now Googling for more Shivaranjini.You my lady, are blessed with great interests. Not everyone can be as multifaceted as you. Thumbelina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nenjukulle was a masterpiece. Its great that you are open to listening to tamil songs and I suggest you listen to this one too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_8NyjJ8oI.

      By the way, you are being too kind, Thumbelina!

      Delete
  5. I love all the songs you mentioned here! Both I and my husband start with one song and start singing other songs of the same raaga, sometimes! It is a happy feeling! I am happy to know that so many new music directors are coming up with melodious tunes!

    I love songs of all types, languages, like you, Malini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to that because finding raagas in film songs used to be the favorite pastime in my family too! I have read ur Jagjit Singh post half way through, very interesting, will finish and then comment on it! Its a great feeling to find like minded people in the blogosphere!

      Delete
  6. I too am happy to know you, Malini...like minded people!

    Waiting to read your comments!

    ReplyDelete